Monday, October 26, 2009

Sunday Marmalade Frenzy

Marmalade

I am running a day late because I crashed out on the couch last night after making Seville orange marmalade. Not our own oranges unfortunately, they are probably still a couple of years away - although our little tree does have flowers on it at the moment.

I had a bit of a panic initially because it came out very dark, but Scott assures me it tastes just like the Maggie Beer one he likes. Plus I did a bit of research and it looks like the darkness is a product of melting the sugar before I added it to the fruit - kind of creates a toffee like effect. I couldn't find any other recipes that recommended you do that (other than the Maggie Beer one I used) but a lot of people seemed to be having trouble getting their marmalade really dark - so if you ever come across this the secret is to cook the fruit until the rind is tender then melt the sugar over a low heat before you add it (be careful though, it really goes whoosh when you tip the molten sugar in).

I also made tags for the Sunekosuri I plan to sell at the Kallista Markets in a couple of weeks. It is the sort of thing that I usually procrastinate for ever, I waste more energy fussing around the process of selling things than I do making them. Thus I never really get around to selling them and save myself the separation anxiety of letting them go. Thanks to Scott for goading me about it, if not for him I would still be fussing.

2 comments:

  1. Delicious! A perfect balance of sweet and bitter and I love the chunks. Also, this might interest you - a recent sighting of Heston Blumenthal in Australia, http://www.rockpool.com.au/blog/tag/heston-blumenthal/
    Can't wait for the next batch. Keep up the brilliant work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The marmalade looks yummy - I haven't seen a recipe that recommends you do it that way either (not that I have made it for a long long time but Mum is always making jam-like things) but the idea of orange + toffee sounds pretty appealing

    ReplyDelete