Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sunday Claw Frenzy

Looks like the exhibition thing just might happen if I can get enough monsters made. Last weekend was research ad sketching and I have been pondering and designing all week.

This weekend saw a bit of a creative splurge and Ithaqua is coming along nicely. I am using the basic design of Cthulhu but adding more detail, I think as part of this process I will redesign Cthulhu with claws too.

I had a bit of a brain wave on the claws, using polymer clay and wire.

Claws

The groove at the top is made so that you can tighten a magic loop into it which holds the claw in place, the chenille stick is for posing and shaping.

Ithaqua Front

He is quite tall around 50cm at he moment, I am not sure where it will end up as the head design is still a work in progress.

Ithaqua Side

I am still determined to have the whole creature as one continuous piece of crochet with nothing sewn on. You can see from this picture that the all the fingers and toes have been crocheted in rather than sewn on.

Claw Detail

I am also planning on an open mouth with polymer clay teeth, I have an idea how to do it but will have to experiment a bit. I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. WOWWEEE, it's amazing! Fab idea with the claws! And I'm with you on the crochet all in one piece, it looks so much neater and saves all the tedious sewing. Can't wait to see him finished :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see you Nik and do you know what... i think i will be a market girl again soon too <3
    (It's all about the mind!) BTW i LOVE the claws! X:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is amazing! Looking forward to seeing more.

    I found you via Meet Me At Mike's, so glad I visited. :)

    ReplyDelete