Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday Burger Frenzy

My boss came back from leave the day after Australia day and I managed to wangle the Thursday and Friday off - so I have just enjoyed a pleasant and reasonably productive 5 day weekend.

My studio, while still an abomination is a significantly more organised abomination than it was a couple of days ago. We did an Ikea trip to get more bookshelves for the library, I got a plasma globe for $20 - its cheap and nastiness does not in anyway diminish its cool electrical Teslaness.

We framed and hung some beautiful art sent to us by our extremely talented friend Tonia, you can see more of her works here.

Krampas

This one was a Christmas present.

Nylarthotep

And this one was part of Scott's birthday present (apologies for the crappy photos).

I found a new fabulously ugly piece of horse art at the Silver Compaq (the best second hand store around and a source of many fantastically ugly things).

This is the first painting (well textured print) that I found there:

Ugly Horses 1

And this is the new acquisition:

Ugly Horses 2

The horses are in relief on a kind of a hessian background and it has a kind of tikiness to it. I did not mean to start an ugly horse picture collection when I bought the first one but I guess having two is probably a bad sign.

Navigating the yard has become a little hazardous with summer getting into full swing, we have orb spiders everywhere.

Spiderweb

Their webs are so beautiful, except when you wander into one without knowing whether the spider was home and have to do the get this thing off me dance. I have become very cautious when heading down the front path on my way to work.

Gol Goroth is coming along slowly, I have done about as much as I can until his eye gets here. Still having some issues keeping him upright as the leg armature keeps twisting relative to the body but hopefully I can sort something out.

Gol Goroth 1

Gol Goroth 2

I have also finished my piece for the Strumpets Crumpets valentine craft swap. My swapee is a vegan which presented some interesting challenges re materials but with a bit of questing I managed to put together a suitable combination of acrylic and cotton yarns.

Veggie Burger 1

Meet the veggie burger purse with beetroot, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and of course veggie burger.

Veggie Burger 2

I'm not entirely happy with the veggie burger yarn which is a mixture of two yarns knitted together but there was not a lot of choice. Tomorrow I will send it on its journey to Canada.


3 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't believe you guys framed them - I'm very flattered.

    Is it wrong that I kind of think the relief horses are kind of neat? You are setting a dangerous precedent for everybody to give you ugly horse art now.

    Gol Goroth is looking good - looking forward to seeing him with his eye attached.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual more FABULOUS art! X:-)
    And yes i too have found some gems in the Silver Comp... My favs being some 50's hair/clip Bees... Did u get to the Kallista market? i haven't been out much lately (Am at that yukky stage of treatment where you start to LOOK like you are sick contradicting the fact that i am probably at the 'well-est' i have been for a good 18mths!) i trust you did not get flooded out... We are are lucky to be on a hill & in fascinated fashion watched our street turn into a river on Fri night/Sat... Any~hoo hope Lucy is being a good dog X;-) Cheers Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gol Goroth looks fantastic! Can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete